Why Do I Need a filter for My Pond?
In the wild, natural ponds have a natural balance between the fish, bacteria and the plants to keep a sustainable ecosystem in itself. Also, in nature, ponds usually have a source of running water to wash away excess nutrients and waste produced by fish.
So, assuming your pond is man made as a hole in the ground with some kind of liner to hold water, you will need a filter for your pond to keep up with clear and healthy water.
What Types of Filters are out There?
“In mechanical filtration, the filter physically separates and removes any wastes or solids. It is like a vacuum cleaner” (Kodama, p.1, 2019). While these filters remove debris and visible solids, it leaves behind pollution like ammonia from fish waste which is not visible to the human eye.
A biological filter works like a sewage system for your pond by creating a larger surface area for bacteria to grow on what is called “media”. The bacteria bed nitrates toxins that are secreted from the fish themselves and decaying waste from feces, excess food, or material at the bottom of the pond.
This leaves us with the hybrid of both filtration methods mentioned above. “Bio-Mechanical filtration depends on the establishment of a colony of bacteria on the surface of the media that converts dissolved toxic nitrogenous waste to harmless compounds” (AUV, p.1, 2019).
Where Do I Buy a Filter for my Pond?
#3 EasyPro Pressurized Pond Filters
- 3 different models to choose from:
- EasyPro Pressurized Pond Filter – 1,000 Gallons
- EasyPro Pressurized Pond Filter – 2,500 Gallons
- EasyPro Pressurized Pond Filter – 4,000 Gallons
- Sturdy housing that can be buried in the ground up to the cleaning ring.
- Filter pads remove solid debris and media provides the biological filtration.
- Optional UV light to keep your water clear.
- Cleaning indicator light for backwash process.
- Inlet/outlet fittings accept various tubing sizes.
#2 Aquascape UltraKlean Biological Pressure Filter
- 2 different models to choose from:
- UltraKlean 2,000 for ponds up to 2,000 Gallons
- UltraKlean 3,500 for ponds up to 3,500 Gallons
- Sponge less design.
- Simple to use backwash process that uses a large dial on the top to keep your hands clean and takes less than 5 minutes.
- The cleaning indicator light reminds you when it is time for a backwash.
- Uses “bio-balls” (media) to trap dirt and debris and allow bacteria to grow.
- A UV light is installed in the center of the filter, allowing the water to become disinfected through the filter at the same time.
- Offers a UV bulb timer setting option.
#1 Aqua Ultraviolet Ultima ll Bio-Mechanical Filters
- A wide variety of models to choose from:
- Ultima ll 1,000 1.5” or 2”: 500-1,000 Gallons
- Ultima ll 2,000 1.5” or 2”: 1,000-2,000 Gallons
- Ultima ll 4,000 1.5” or 2”: 2,000-4,000 Gallons
- Ultima ll 6,000 2”: 4,000-6,000 Gallons
- Ultima ll 10,000 2”: 6,000-10,000 Gallons
- Ultima ll 20,000 2”: 10,000-20,000 Gallons
- Ultima ll 30,000 2”: 20,000-30,000 Gallons
- Side Mount 30,000 3”: 20,000-30,000 Gallons
- Side Mount 60,000 3”: 30,000-60,000 Gallons
- Can be buried up to the valve top.
- The backwash process takes just a couple of minutes per week.
- All waste is expelled through the waste line and eliminates the need for a sludge valve.
- Internal Jets provide a self-cleaning mechanism and phases out the need for a blower.
- Y-shaped bio-media provides 4-7 times more surface area to promote growth of beneficial bacteria.
- Pre-seeded with bacteria to start colonization quickly.
- Unique patented bio-media design to prevent clumping and channeling.
- Protects bacteria while dislodging unwanted debris.
You can check out our Ultima ll Filters here https://aquaultraviolet.com/products/filters/.
Choosing a filter for your pond can be time consuming, but can be fun to find the right filter for your fish friends! Give us a call at (800) 454-2725 to discuss your options! 😊
What Makes Aqua Ultraviolet different is
- No Minimum Order Requirements
- Most Items Ship Within 24 Hours
- Live Technical Support directly from our office.
- We manufacture our patented products from our California location.
- We directly handle warranty issues for you.
- Unmatched filter performance.
- Small and Large units for Ponds, Pool and Spa use, as well.
- We offer unparalleled fresh drinking water products.
- Installation videos and manuals are on our website.
- Complete UV line, including a compact 400-Watt unit for larger installations.
- All UV’s have a blue cap that indicates the lamp is operating.
- Wipers available to keep quartz clean and optimize germicidal effectiveness.
- We have the longest lamp life on the market, 14 months.
Call (951) 296-3480 or Email [email protected] Today!
#lifedependsonwater #aquauv #aquaultraviolet #madeintheusa #aquauvmadeinusa #water #waterfiltration #uvwaterfiltration #followus #ultraviolet #sterilizeyourwater #cleanwater #pondlife #filteredpondwater #aquauvfilter #ultimall #ultimallfilter #bestinthebiz
Sources and further readings:
Kodama, Understanding Koi Pond Filter System, 2019
Aqua Ultraviolet – Filters: Aqua Uv: Bio-mechanical Filters
Aquascape Ultraklean Pond Filter – 2000 – 3500 Gallons
Easypro Pressurized Pond Filter – 1000 – 4000 Gallons